Named “Talamh an Éisc”, or the land of the fish, by the many fisherman emigrants who came to these shores in the 18th century, Newfoundland is the only place outside of Ireland that has an indigenous Irish language name.
On any other day, it is easy to see the influence of our Irish heritage, but on St. Patrick’s Day we turn that dial up full tilt. Not only do we have the most bars per capita in Canada but St. John’s is also home to “Canada’s Favourite Bar” located in our famous entertainment district, George Street.
From traditional Irish Newfoundland music to delicious pub fare and of course people wearing green, there was no mistake made when we were given the nickname as the “Most Irish island in the world“.
Don’t be green with envy – come celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in St. John’s.
Sometimes referred to as St. Practice Day 😉
- Bridie Molloy’s. 18th Birthday and live music starting at 5:00 PM – close
- Green Sleeves. From 5 pm on live entertainment including Anthony McDonald and Síochána!
- Shamrock City Pub St. Paddy’s Weekend. $4.99 Fish & Chips Friday, beverage purchase required. From 11:30 AM – 4 PM.
- Mussels on the Corner. Relax and enjoy live music and delicious seafood. Featuring Fergus O’Bryne and Robbie Martin from 7 PM – 10 PM.
Celebrating a day ahead allows you to wash the green beer out of your clothes in time for Monday.
- Green Sleeves. Beginning at noon there is a rotating schedule of live entertainment on both floors!
- Bridie Molloy’s. Live music begins at 12:15 pm with Ron Kelly & Mike Hanrahan, with band changes every 3 hours wrapping up at 11:00 pm with the final band Chris Ryan, Mike Hanrahan and Paul Turner.
- O’Reilly’s Annual St. Patrick’s Weekend Carvery Brunch with Masterless Men. SOLD OUT BRUNCH.
- Quidi Vidi St. Patrick’s Dayboil. Great music, fantastic food, and delicious beer!
$20 for Dayboil and Evening, & free entry on Sunday. Live music from 2:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
- Shamrock City Pub St. Paddy’s Weekend. Start your day with our $12.99 Traditional Irish Breakfast and enjoy live music all day!
- Big Irish Bash at Club One. Two days, 3 venues and 24 performances featuring awesome acts like Celtic Connection, Connemara, Siochana, Wabana and many many more! Cover only $15 at the door (each day).
- Mussels on the Corner. Relax and enjoy live music and delicious seafood. Featuring Fergus O’Bryne, Bill Kelly, Kyran Pennell, Derrick Dymond, and Robbie Martin from 5 PM – 11 PM.
March 17th - St. Patrick's Day
Start the morning off by preparing for a day full of Irish cheer (and beer) with a breakfast of champions. Keep in mind that most pubs and bars in St. John’s shut down at 3:00 AM so today is a marathon not a sprint.
- St. John’s Fish Exchange Brunch Buffet. Prime your stomach for the pints that will follow on George Street. Includes cut-it-with-a-butterknife Prime Rib, Choose-your-own-adventure Eggs Benny and Waffle station, all the Breakfast Favourites (including Pork Belly!), plenty of other options, and an overflowing dessert table. Running from 11 am – 2 pm. Reservations Required.
- Bridie Molloy’s. A full day of live music starting from 8:00 am with an Irish breakfast and ending with the last band starting at 11:30 pm.
- Green Sleeves. Breakfast starts at 9:00 am following a massive schedule of live entertainment on both floors.
- O’Reilly’s Annual St. Patrick’s Day Breakfast and live music. Breakfast from 8:30 AM – 10:30 AM. Live music all day. BREAKFAST SOLD OUT.
- Quidi Vidi Brewery St. Patrick’s Bash. Great music, fantastic food, and delicious beer!
Free with ticket to Saturday or $5 at door. Live music from 1:00 PM. – 4:00 PM
- Shamrock City Pub. Start your day with our $12.99 Traditional Irish Breakfast and enjoy live music all day!
- YellowBelly Brewery St. Patrick’s Day Brunch. With live performance by Fergus O’Byrne beginning at 12pm, plus a Traditional Session hosted by Fergus Brown O’Byrne and Tony O’Brien starting 1:30 come and celebrate with the whole family.
- Kelly’s Pub. Traditional music will begin at 10:00 A.M and run till close at 3 AM. Full menu available to enjoy all day and night.
- Mussels on the Corner. Relax and enjoy live music and delicious seafood. Featuring Bill Kelly, Kyran Pennell, Derrick Dymond, and Robbie Martin from 3 PM – 9 PM.
Published: March 14, 2019