In July 1866, after nine years and several unsuccessful attempts, the first permanent telegraph cable connecting Europe and North America was hauled ashore at Heart’s Content. This little Newfoundland town leaped into the history books and remained a global communications hub for over a century. The cable station opened the world to the outport men and women who worked here and remains a time capsule of the communications technology that connected us all right up to the 1960s.
CategoriesArt & Culture, Attractions, Heritage
Heart’s Content Cable Station Provincial Historic Site
Heart's Content Cable Station, Provincial Historic Site, Newfoundland and Labrador 80, Heart's Content, NL, Canada